Monday, January 2, 2012

Thoughts for the New Year

So today I've been consumed with some thoughts that I wanted to share or just record so I can remember these times. Over the past month, I feel like I've really been tested. We came off an amazing Unity Retreat with our youth to find out that they were going to be introducing the prospective new youth minister the next week, my boss made some changes to my work that have been really difficult to handle and then Paityn took an incredible hard fall to her head the last regular Wednesday night at church. I remember telling my mom that night that I really just needed Satan to back off for awhile. Soon after that we were approved as the new youth pastor at Rock Springs which was unbelievably exciting and scary all at the same time. I've gone to Springfield Baptist church for 18 years and Brandon and I have gone there since we've been married. We have worked with the youth on Wednesday nights for 4 years and as the interim for 21 months. Both our kids were dedicated there and we have so many memories. Mix in the holidays which are always wonderful and yet sad for me at the same time - it was during Christmas my parents told me they were getting divorced, the first of January that I said goodbye to my dad and flew down to Tennessee with my mom and Robert to begin a new life and I'm always reminded during the holidays how much I miss my family in Canada. Then right before Christmas my boss asked me to make another decision by the first of the year regarding working full time which is something that I really have not wanted to do - I want to be able to spend time at home with my kids while they are young. Then came Christmas, New Years and time to say goodbye to the youth who have meant so much to us. Mix in some sickness, bronchitis that neither Brandon or I can fully get over, we are tired! I think I've cried more in this past month than I have in years.

During this time a couple verses have replayed over and over in my mind.


Romans 8:28

New International Version (NIV)

 28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[a]have been called according to his purpose.


Jeremiah 29:11

New International Version (NIV)
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.


Galatians 6:9

New International Version (NIV)
9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

I know that we serve a powerful and holy God and He will continue to provide and carry us through when we cannot continue ourselves. So today, after thinking about all of this, I stumbled upon a blog about a family whose little girl was diagnosed with brain cancer. I have spend some time tonight reading this blog and throughout all of it, the faith of the family shines. I was reminded how trivial all these things that I have allowed myself to dwell on really are and was reminded of how blessed I really am. So I want to take a few minutes to just remind myself of these blessings.

First and foremost I'm thankful to serve a loving God who knows me best. He loves me in spite of my uncertainties, my weakness and is ALWAYS there! He has carried me when I physically, mentally and emotionally didn't think I could handle anymore. He has given me peace and understanding and always provides.

Next I want to thank my husband who loves me and is always showing me. He has held me when I cried, laughed with me, encouraged me and prayed for me and our family. I am so proud of you Brandon - for the choices you have made, for the man you are and for the godly influence you are to so many. This year is going to be an amazing year!

I'm thankful for my kids Britton and Paityn who have brought a smile to my face and laughter to my heart. I'm thankful for their health, their faith and the simple reminders they give me daily to soak up the small things and just relish every moment.

For my family who is always there.

I'm thankful to have a job.

I'm thankful that God is giving us another opportunity to continue youth ministry - something that has fulfilled us, strengthened us and challenged us in go many ways. I'm excited about our new church family and for the kindness and support they have already shown.

I'm thankful for those who have encouraged us so much over the past year. For your notes, your words and your prayers.

I'm thankful to our youth who have changed our lives in ways they will never fully understand. They have challenged us, strengthened us, pushed us and have helped us become the people we are today. I'm thankful for the random texts, messages, the notes of encouragement, the dinners, the trips, the passion they have for Christ. I have so many memories of this past year and seeing these kids worship Christ is one of the highlights. I'm thankful for the influence you all have had on this community, our family and specifically our children - Britton and Paityn. We love you guys so very much.

To my youth girls - thank you. I have loved every moment we have spent together. From the Bible studies, outings, messages and commitment you have shown. Our Proverbs 31 study and appreciation lunch will forever be etched in my mind. You girls are incredibly special to me and I pray that you will continue to be a part of my life.

I'm thankful for my health, my house, my family near and far. For the friends that I can just pick up with at a moment's notice, who always know what to say and whose relationships no matter the distance never change.  I'm thankful for the simple reminders of the blessings I have. I'm thankful for so many things.....

So this year, I'm going to challenge myself to be more thankful. To tell people, to write it here and to make sure that I dwell in my blessings.

So tonight I'm thankful for Lucy's mom who blogs about their life and challenges and who continues to have faith in spite of their circumstances. I'm praying for this little girl I don't know and that her family will have peace despite the circumstances and I'm thankful for the reminder to be more thankful.

No comments: